Saturday, June 30, 2012

Portrait of Shakespeare with White Lace Collar





I don't know the date when this portrait was done, but I know that William Shakespeare was born on April 23 1564, so probably this portrait is from XVI century.  This painting caught my attention not only because this masterpiece is simply breathtaking and shows us beautiful face of the famous writer.

When I looked at his white lace collar I immediately thought of my detachable white lace collar and realized that in XVI century, males were wearing highly embellished clothing no less than females.  They wore lace, embroideries, clothing adorned with precious and colorful stones, brocades, etc.  The interesting fact is that it does not look outrageous, it looks right, because this is what we expect from that era.  It is all about expectations.   

Have a good weekend!

Via Vogue Italia Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment