Thursday, May 24, 2012

Summer Sweater... Crochet DIY

I love wearing chunky sweaters.  Usually, by the end of every summer, I can't wait for Fall and cooler weather to come just so I can pull on my favorite sweaters again.  Luckily, with this summer's trend and popularity of "see through" tops, which I like a lot, I decided that my next DIY project will be "sheer" summer sweater.  Finally, I figured how to wear my chunky winter tops in the summer!

For my new project I had to consider the yarn very carefully.  It had to be very soft and comfortable to wear on my bare skin since I cannot tolerate itchy wool at all.  I found the yarn that had mix of silk fiber with some merino soft wool in it.  You may ask why to have some wool content for the summer sweater?  Wool fiber in the mix insures that the sweater will hold its shape and will not sag like 100% cotton or 100% silk yarn would.

Then I decided on the  design.  I wanted this sweater to be very simple and quick to make.  Since I was using simple crochet techniques like single chain stitch and double crochet stitch, the pattern needed to be all straight lines: 2 rectangles of one size (the same measurement for front and for back) and 2 rectangles for my sleeves.  If you are not familiar with crochet stitches, I can tell you that they are super easy, just google "simple crochet stitch" and you will be able to do it in no time.

Then I made a sample of stitches (see below), measured those samples and figured how many stitches I will need for each pattern (rectangle) piece, according to my body measurements.  I am not giving you the number of stitches I used because even for the same size, number of stitches you need will be different depending on the yarn you use.  Actually, it was easier for me to figure how many squares (empty spaces between stitches) I will need.  After this prep time the rest was easy.  It took me about 3 days to finish those 4 rectangles (two of the same size for front and back, and two of the same size for my sleeves).

When pieces were ready, I stitched front and back and attach my sleeves.  As you can see, in the front I made some variations of double crochet stitch and extended my "empty squares" into "empty rectangles" for some visual interest, but it is optional.  If you want to do that, simply increase a number of chains between double crochet stitches from 1 to 5.  Voila! 
  


Chain stitch


Double crochet stitch separated by one chain to achieve empty squares in between stitches


... and so on



Share with me your crochet projects! Pin It

26 comments:

  1. I am seriously impressed. And that top is gorgeous! I know what you mean, by the end of summer I've had enough!
    Lovely blog. Just followed you on Bloglovin :)
    xx, micol

    http://www.themarcystop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Marcy Stop, thank you for kind words. I just discovered your blog and followed you on Blogloving. I LOVE Brooklyn, this is where I learned to speak English as my second language. When I travel West Coast, people say I have Brooklyn accent. (People, are you saying that in addition to my Eastern European accent, I have my Brooklyn accent on the top of it?) This is funny but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Love it!! It is perfect for the winter here in Brasilia :)

    XOXO

    www.barceloninna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this and the change of spacing for the neck area is a superb idea with a stunning result. Only problem ... one more item for my 'To do" list that is a mile long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do i get the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a pattern? I'm a beginner and a friend saw this on pinterest and asked if I could make her one.

    Thx,
    Harmony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not use any pattern, this was my creation from the beginning to the end. I just used simple chain stitch and double crochet stitch. I got instructions on how to do it from the web. There are plenty of sites that provide step by step instructions, so there is no need to repeat it here. As far as sizing, it is all about trial and error, because it takes a few samples to figure how many stitches you need for your size using the yarn you have. When I figured the amount of stitches I need, I crocheyed two identical large squares for my front and back, two smaller squares for my sleeves, and then connected it all together. Hope it helps.

      Delete
  7. Very nice! Thanks for sharing your design process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I ask about how much yarn to make one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I did not keep the yarn ball wrapper to tell you exactly how many yards was in the ball of 50 grams. I can tell you that the yarn I used was very soft silk/wool blend and pretty thick. I think I used about 450 - 500 grams.

      Delete
  9. How did you inc and dec from hips - waist - bust??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tawana, there is no increase or decrease. The shape is very straight. However, on the body it works just fine and drapes the way it should since this sweater is very thin and not bulky at all.

      Delete
  10. I really love this pattern, thanks for sharing it. It looks very elegant, yet simple to make, just what I like. I am looking forward to making it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. do you have the brand name of the yarn you used and how many balls it took to do it.

    It is beautiful .








    i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,
      I wish I knew the answer to your question. I did not keep the tag with that info. However, I know that the yarn was not cotton. Cotton is heavy and would not hold the shape of the sweater. I chose the yarn made from wool/silk, it was about 120 yard in 50 gr ball. The actual thread is pretty lofty but light as the same time. This is possible because the actual thread is not a solid thread, but it looks like it was woven already. This is why it is lofty but not heavy. It tool about 450 grams.


      Delete
  13. I love this! Has anyone tried any other yarn? I think I will try it first in an inexpensive acrylic yarn before I do it in the wool/silk. I wonder how a bamboo blend would work up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really really lovely! I'm so gonna try this (at least... I WANT to try this haha) thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello I was wondering if you can show a pic on how to add the sleeves to the body... Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you show pics in how to put it together...thank you...even a drawing will help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lourdes, you will have two large rectangular pieces (front and back) and two small rectangular pieces (sleeves). First you need to stitch together front and back in the shoulder area. Second - stitch top of your small rectangular pieces (sleeves) to your sweater starting from the shoulder seam you completed in the step one. Third, stitch together sides of your sweater. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  17. Where is the rest of the pattern??

    ReplyDelete