I have never posted any food recipe, but this one I know is so good and so simple to make that I thought it would be only fair if I share this with you. With Memorial Day weekend coming on Monday, everybody will be cooking a lot, getting together, sharing food and recipes, so this one will help you to make an impression for sure.
- Puff Pastry Sheets ready made, frozen. I usually buy a package with 2 sheets and pull it out of my freezer about 30 min before cooking
- Portabella Baby mushrooms. 1 package 8oz will work, but you can use more if you want to. You don't have to have a lot of mushrooms in this recipe, but more mushrooms does not hurt if you like them. You can choose any "button" mushrooms as well
- 1 medium size chopped yellow or red onion. Do you want to know how to avoid the "onion tears" while chopping the onion? Look HERE
- Shredded cheese for topping. Cheddar, Parmesan, Peccorino and other cheeses will work, but the best I like is Truffle cheese, because it blends well with the taste of mushrooms
1. Saute chopped onion in a little bit of olive oil, then add chopped mushrooms, cover, and saute for another 10-15 min on medium heat. Add salt and black pepper to taste. When mushrooms is cooked, add some sour cream, I usually use 1 to 2 tbs, and saute for a minute or so more. If there is too much of liquid left in the pan, saute a couple of more minutes uncovered, and excess of liquid will evaporate.
Your mushroom filling is ready
2. Take a sheet of puff pastry and using a rolling pin roll it thin in the shape of a rectangle. Try your best to make it more or less geometric, because after that you need to cut it in squares. Don't stress out though if your squares are not perfect, it will taste good anyway, I promise.
3. Put dough squares in nonstick muffin pan
4. Add mushroom filling from your saute pan. How much in each square? As much or as little you want.
5. Add shredded cheese, if you like. Cheese is not mandatory.
6. Heat up the oven to 350 F (if you not in the USA and use Celsius measurement system, it is 180 C) and bake it for 30 min.
Happy Memorial Day!