Thursday, August 23, 2012

Deep Sea Water Sponge... from Greece with Love




What do you bring back home from travel to Greece?  I am talking about something that is very specific to that area, something that you cannot find anywhere else.  My item happened to be a SEA SPONGE!  I have to admit, this is my new "I love it" thing.  When I unpacked it at home, it still smelled like a sea, with that specific salt water smell that is the best smell in the world to me. 


Sea sponge shop, island Symi, Greece


Shops selling sea sponges are all over Greek islands.  My sponge came from Symi island.  They have many varieties of sea sponges, starting from light colored, which are harvested in shallower waters, to dark colored, like mine, from as deep as 80 meters, or about 240 feet, from under the sea.

I always wanted natural sea sponge for my bath.  First of all, it is NATURAL, from the sea, and very pretty in its intricate nature's design.  Second, when it is wet, it is very soft and silky to the touch.  I wonder how long this sponge going to last?  People who sell these sponges say it lasts a lo-o-o-ong time, 8 to 10 years.  Due to nature's genius engineering, this sea sponge structure is very strong and when the sponge is wet, you even cannot tear it up.  Also, the sea sponge constructed the way that water must be filtered right through, so these sponges are really easy to wash off.

Did you know this? I learned that with daily use, it is suggested, periodically, take a small bowl, cover the sponge with vinegar water (proportion: 2 tbs of regular vinegar per 1 liter of water) and soak the sponge for 2 hrs.  Then just shake it off.  This easy step supposed to clean off all soaps residue.

Did you have a chance to use natural sponge from under the sea?  What do you think?




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment