Thursday, April 12, 2012

Silk Bead Necklace - DIY

A couple of weeks ago I shared with you how I made a new   Silk Braided Rope Bracelet  After that project I had left some silk fabric and thought of using it for another DIY project.  Necklaces with large beads is so in fashion this spring, so this is what I did.  First I made my pink/coral necklace.   I made it pretty short, because I wanted it to be close to my face since its nice color really complements my skin tone.  This one is about 20" long.


I also had some silk fabric in dark contrast floral pattern left from another project and since the first pink necklace was so easy to do, I decided to make another necklace but much longer in length for different look.  This one is about 36" long.  For this longer necklace I used large and some smaller beads for uneven look.


This long necklace I like to wear with simple tanks or t-shirt in dark charcoal color.  The inspiration for the color combination of bright floral and dark charcoal color came from Roberto Cavalli ad campaign





Here is how I made my necklaces.  I bought large wooden beads, mine were about 1". Then I cut a strip of fabric 5.5" wide and sew it in length to get a tube, but kept it open on both ends and turned sewn strip to the right side.  After the tube was ready, I took one large bead, dropped it inside the tube, positioned the bead in the middle in length and tied a knot on each side of the bead.  All I had to do after that is keep going adding more beads and separate each of them by the knot until I got the length of the necklace I needed.  For the ends and a closure I used the same attachments as I used in my    Silk Braided Rope Bracelet   Let me know if you had a chance to make the same necklace!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't find any nice wooden beads in this neck of the woods, so I made really densely packed (squeezed) "beads" (balls) out of aluminum foil and used those (even more DIYish!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Au, you are really creative! I liked that you did not give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another option is...
    Use tiny gold or silver beads in between each big bead.
    So big bead through tube and silk through tiny bead.

    ReplyDelete